Food sanitation is now more important than ever, and to improve upon food safety, the USDA has instituted the National Poultry Inspection System (NPIS). The NPIS now requires participating poultry facilities to perform microbiological testing two times throughout the production process, in order to better control Salmonella and Campylobacter, two persistent bacteria. In a press release issued by the USDA, Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack confirmed this, stating:
“The United States has been relying on a poultry inspection model that dates back to 1957, while rates of foodborne illness due to Salmonella and Campylobacter remain stubbornly high. The system we are announcing today imposes stricter requirements on the poultry industry and places our trained inspectors where they can better ensure food is being processed safely. These improvements make use of sound science to modernize food safety procedures and prevent thousands of illnesses each year.”
Because Salmonella and Camplyobacter, commonly found in raw chicken, have remained persistent issues for food safety in processing plants, every step possible to promote a sanitary environment must be taken. Consequently, facility owners should have seamless resinous flooring systems in place for exceptional cleanliness and safety. Read on to learn more about the benefits of antibacterial flooring and how it can improve the sanitation of poultry processing facilities.
How Antibacterial Flooring Enhances Poultry Processing Facilities’ Sanitation
Antimicrobial flooring provides the needed solution for the NPIS’ new requirements by providing a highly sanitary option that supports cleanliness and safety. These flooring systems meet various sanitation requirements and have many advantages, just a few of which include:
- Easy-to-clean surfaces—Flooring in poultry processing facilities must be constantly cleaned to comply with cleanliness standards. Florock high performance antimicrobial flooring can withstand harsh chemical cleaners that could otherwise compromise flooring’s durability. Resinous flooring is also seamless, eliminating the risk of contaminants and bacteria forming in grooves or cracks.
- USDA compliance—Sanitation is crucial for any food processing facility, especially for those processing raw meats such as chicken, which is highly susceptible to bacteria formation if not properly handled. Monolithic resinous flooring systems can help, by complying with strict USDA sanitation guidelines.
- Fast curing times—Poultry processing facilities cannot afford to have long periods of downtime during flooring installation. And cold room temperatures imposes even more restrictions on floor covering selection. The right resinous flooring can be installed and cured within hours, making it an attractive choice for facilities that prefer to keep production going.
- Superior moisture tolerance—Poultry processing facilities are notoriously wet, with either processing liquids or wash down water consistently on the floor. With floors that almost never dry out, installation of standard industrial flooring is out of the questions. Florock’s moisture tolerant options can be installed on damp floors with ease.
- Antibacterial protection–Without the right protection in place, porous concrete floors absorb processing fluids, promoting contamination and leading to an unsanitary environment for goods produced, as well as workers’ health and safety. Antibacterial flooring from Florock is impervious and has a special additive that helps control microbe proliferation throughout the depth of the floor material.
- Slip resistance options—Floors in poultry processing facilities need slip resistance to help ensure the safety of employees as they deal with spilled liquids and fluid residue that comes with handling raw meats. If items are dropped, the floor must be cleaned quickly, with wash water presenting another potential risk for slipping and falling. Our antimicrobial flooring systems have custom levels of slip resistance for specific areas throughout the building.
Want to learn more about how antimicrobial flooring can help poultry facilities comply with the new USDA standards? Get in touch with the Florock team of specialists today, or visit ourAntimicrobial orMeat & Seafood pages.