Special Considerations for Greenhouses and Grow Room Floors
A great deal of research has been done in evaluating the efficacy of outdoor greenhouses as compared to grow rooms in warehouses, and greenhouses are the clear winner. Particularly because of the natural sunlight that comes pouring in—even if it is not daily—energy costs can be dramatically reduced. It has been established that the photosynthesis in greenhouses is double, on average, and produces more vibrant, healthy plants.
Whether you are establishing a greenhouse or a grow room, however, the issues regarding flooring are essentially the same, as the substrate is most commonly a concrete slab.
The issues affecting flooring systems in the industry include the following:
- Concrete is a porous substance that easily absorbs liquids and allows them to seep into the soil beneath. The regular watering of the plants and the humidity that needs to be maintained in the environment can lead to deterioration unless the concrete substrate is properly protected.
- Concrete with a compromised or non-functioning vapor barrier can be subject to a condition known as Moisture Vapor Transmission (MVT), wherein moisture and moisture vapor from the soil underneath the slab moves osmotically upward through the concrete. The condition can result in blistering, bubbles and other damage to floor coverings.
- Warm, moist air within a confined space easily invites the growth of microbes. The type of plants being grown generally dictates the hygiene levels demanded by code, with food and pharmaceutical plants topping the priority list.
Installed at Facilities Operated by:
Optimal Flooring for Greenhouses and Grow Rooms
Epoxies and other fluid-applied resins are a smart way to coat and protect concrete slabs. When supplied by a quality manufacturer, they can be highly durable, resistant to abrasion and stains, and can be customized to:
- Mitigate MVT (Moisture Vapor Transmission)
- Help control the growth of microbes, fungi and pathogens
- Provide skid resistance and enhanced traction
- Withstand exposure harsh chemicals and ongoing wet conditions
- Offer a wide variety of colors and finishes to bring any design to life
Further, high quality resinous flooring requires no waxing, buffing or polishing, making maintenance inexpensive and easy.
In particular, urethane mortar flooring systems offer great solutions for grow rooms and hydroponics facilities, due to unique benefits such as:
- High tolerance for very moist conditions, including being installed over damp concrete
- Thermal shock resistance, enabling the floor to be steam-cleaned
- Rapid cure and low odor
Which coating is best for your facility?
The Florock team can help you evaluate your facility flooring needs and help you make an informed decision, so contact us today!